Lentils with Vegetables
2 cups green lentils
1 strip of kombu, 2-3 inches long, soaked and diced
1 cup spring or well water for soaking kombu
1 quart spring or well water
2 cups diced onion (about 2 medium onions)
1 ear of sweet corn (or 1 cup of frozen organic corn)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Place the lentils in the bowl and wash them. Set them aside to drain.
2. Wipe both sides of the kombu with a clean, damp sponge. Place it in a bowl with I cup of water and let it soak for 3-5 minutes. Remove, place it on the cutting board, and dice. Save the soaking water.
3. Peel and wash the onions and then dice them into large pieces.
4. Remove the husk from the ear of corn and wash the corn under a stream of cold water. Place it on the cutting board and remove the kernels with the vegetable knife. Set them aside.
5. Wash the parsley under a stream of cold water, chop it very fine, and set it aside.
6. Place the kombu, onions, lentils, and water, including the kombu soaking water, in a pot. Bring to a boil, place the lid on the pot, and reduce the flame to medium?low.
7. Cover and simmer on a medium?low flame for 45 minutes. Then add the corn kernels and sea salt. Cover and simmer for another 10?15minutes.
8. Remove the lid, add the chopped parsley, and cook, uncovered, for another 3?5 minutes. Remove from the pot and place in a serving bowl.