Watermelon Rind Condiment
Here’s a novel way to make use of those otherwise discarded watermelon rinds.
One of the principles of macrobiotics is “no waste.” This recipe let’s us put it into action.
2 cups diced watermelon rind (white part with the outside skin trimmed off)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon barley miso (or to taste)
1. Cut away the outer green skin of the watermelon. Dice the white part into 1/2″ cubes.
2. Warm the oil in a cast iron skillet.
3. Add the watermelon rind. Saute 2-3 minutes over medium high flame.
4. Add miso. Mix in until the miso melts.
5. Cover pot with a lid and cook until the watermelon rinds are semi soft.
6. Serve as a condiment for grain, site bread, or pasta.