This recipe is especially nice during colder weather. It is warming and energizing. If you prefer, it can be made in a regular pot. Add an additional 15 minutes to the cooking time.
1 inch of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker
1 block of tempeh
Sesame oil for frying tempeh.
1 medium onion, trimmed, peeled and cut into eighths
1 medium turnip, cut into eighths
1 large carrot, cut into wedges
¼ head of green cabbage, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup sauerkraut
1 level teaspoon sea salt
Soy sauce to taste
- Put 1 inch of water in the bottom of your pressure cooker.
- Add enough oil to a skillet to coat the bottom after the skillet warms up a little.
- Fry the tempeh over medium heat until the bottom is golden. Take car not to scorch. It cooks fairly quickly. Flip the tempeh and cook on the other side until golden. You may have to add a little more sesame oil. Drain on paper. Cut the block into quarters and then cut each quarter diagonally into 2 triangles.
- Place the tempeh in the pressure cooker with water and then layer the vegetables in the above order, ending with the sauerkraut on top.
- Sprinkle the salt on top.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and bring up to pressure.
- Reduce the heat to a medium low.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the pressure cooker in the sink and run cold water over the top to bring the pressure down quickly.
- Open the pressure cooker. If additional seasoning is desired add soy sauce.