Chinese Cabbage (napa cabbage), shredded or sliced thin
Red Radishes, cut into thin rounds
1. Wash and slice vegetables into very thin slices.
2. In a large bowl, mix vegetables and add about 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt per cup of chopped vegetables.
3. Mix gently by hand.
4. Transfer to a salad press and apply pressure to the press. If a press is not available, leave in a bowl and
place a small plate that fits inside the bowl, adding a weight on top of the plate.
5. Let the vegetables sit for 30‑60 minutes or more (depending on the vegetables, harder vegetables take
longer, leafy vegetables take less time) or until water is expelled from the vegetables.
6. If the vegetables taste too salty, quickly rinse under water.
7. Serve plain, with lemon juice, rice vinegar, or umeboshi vinegar.
• Nice pressed salads include: mustard greens or radish greens, chopped finely and pressed for 30 minutes; cabbage leaves, finely chopped, layered with sea salt, and pressed for 30 minutes; carrots, grated, shredded, or cut into matchsticks, pressed for 30 minutes.
• Ingredients may be pressed longer, up to a couple of days, to make light pickles.
• Brown rice vinegar, umeboshi vinegar, or shoyu may be used for variety in the pressing instead of salt.