Download a printable version of this recipe
Peas Porridge Cold
This dish is soothing and satisfying, the flavor combination is similar to deviled eggs.
• 1 cup green split peas
• 2 ¾ cups water
• 3 inch piece of kombu, soaked and cut into ½ inch squares
• 1 stalk of celery, diced ¼ inch pieces
• 1 ½ level teaspoons sea salt
1. Wash split peas and drain.
2. Place kombu on the bottom of the pot, then the celery and next split peas.
3. Pour water down the side of the pot.
4. Bring to a gentle simmer uncovered.
5. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
6. Place a heat deflector under the pot.
7. Cover with a lid. Keep the heat low so the pot does not boil over, or leave the pot lid ajar.
8. Cook for 30 minutes or until the peas are about 80% soft.
9. Add the sea salt and continue cooking until the peas are mostly dissolved.
10. Place in a 9-inch x 13-inch pan to cool and firm.
11. Serve with a scoop of split peas topped with a small amount of White Miso Dressing made as follows : 1/4 cup white miso and 3 Tablespoons brown rice vinegar. Add the brown rice vinegar to the white miso a little at a time. Mix until smooth and creamy.