• 1/4 head of Savoy cabbage (regular cabbage may be substituted)
• 1/2 large carrot (cut the large end into carrot flowers)
• 1 handful of sugar snap peas cut in half diagonally
• 1 cup sliced red cabbage
• 1/2 red onion, cut in thin crescents
• Ume su
• Water (3 inches deep in the bottom of the pot)
1. Bring water to rapid boil.
2. Cut Savoy cabbage into 1″ squares.
3. Add the first three vegetables to the boiling water one at a time in the order listed above. Boil each vegetable just long enough to be tender, yet still maintaining a firm texture. The color should be very vivid.
4. Place each vegetable in a basket or on a plate in a thin layer to cool quickly.
5. Arrange the vegetables on a serving plate.
6. Cook the red cabbage next and drain, then the red onion and drain. Place them together in a small bowl and sprinkle with a little ume su to bring out a magenta color. Arrange on the plate with the other vegetables.
7. Serve with your favorite dressing.