1 cup chickpeas
1‑inch piece kombu
½ cup carrots
½ cup onions
3 cups water
Pinch of sea salt
- Soak chickpeas for 6‑8 hours or overnight with a little kombu.
- Dice carrots and onions.
- Layer kombu on the bottom of the pressure cooker and place chickpeas on top.
- Add the water, including the soaking water, if desired.
- Bring mixture to a boil without a lid, reduce the flame, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Discard any foam that rises to the surface.
- Cover the pressure cooker and bring to pressure on a low flame.
- Cook with low pressure for about 40 minutes.
- Allow pressure to come down completely and remove the cover.
- Remove the beans and layer the carrots and onions on the bottom of the pot.
- Place the beans on top of the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a heavy regular lid (it is better not to pressure‑cook the vegetables), reduce heat, and cook on a medium flame for about I hour until the beans are 80 percent done.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and continue cooking until the beans are well done, but not mushy and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a serving dish.