1 quart Knudson’s Cherry Cider or 1 quart unfiltered apple juice
4 heaping Tablespoons agar flakes
3 cups bing cherries
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 heaping Tablespoon kuzu
1/2 cup water
- Pour juice into a cooking pot and add the agar flakes. Stir and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Slowly bring the ingredients to a simmer.
- Add sea salt.
- Continue simmering with a lid on the pot, slightly ajar so the juice doesn’t boil over.
- Cook an additional 20-30 minutes or until the agar flakes are completely dissolved.
- To prepare cherries, wash and pull off stems. Pit the cherries by holding a cherry in one hand and pushing the pit out with the blunt end of a chopstick.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the kuzu in the water.
- Slowly add the kuzu to the simmering juice, stirring continuously until the kuzu cooks and turns clear.
- Pour the kanten in a 9 X 13 pan.
10. Add the pitted cherries and allow to cool until the agar sets up.