1 onion, cut into thin crescents
4 inch piece of wakame, soaked and finely cut
4 cups water
1 heaping Tablespoon barley miso, or to taste
1 green onion, cut into thin diagonal slices for garnish
1/4 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms (soak mushrooms first
1/2 cup barley
1 four-inch piece kombu
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1/2 cup thin diagonally-sliced celery
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Chopped garnish (scallion, parsley, or watercress)
Soak the barley overnight in 2 cups of water. Pour the barley along with the soaking water into a soup pot. Add two cups of fresh water plus the kombu. Bring almost to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, sauté the onion in 1 teaspoon sesame oil for 3 minutes. Add the chopped
shiitake and sauté for another 3 minutes, then add the celery and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes
Finally, add the carrots and sauté 2 minutes.
Combine the sautéed vegetables with soup and simmer for another 15 minutes.
Season with miso to taste.
Serve with a chopped garnish such as scallions, parsley, or watercress.
Sweet Summer Corn Soup
• 3 ears fresh corn
• 2 medium-size yellow onions minced
• 4 cups spring water or filtered water
• 1 TBSP. kuzu
• 1 tsp
• 2-3 stems of parsley for garnish
1. Trim corn from cob. Scrape cob with the back of knife to remove pulp.
2. Set corn aside.
3. Place onion and corn cobs in a soup pot.
4. Add enough of the water to cover.
5. Add salt and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer covered until onions are completely soft.
7. Add corn and remaining water.
8. Return to a boil and cook an additional 10 minutes.
9. Dilute kuzu in a little water and add to soup pot. Cook until kuzu turns clear.
10. Serve garnished with a little finely chopped parsley.
© Macrobiotics America
P.O. Box 1874
Orovile, CA 95965