Amasake (Amazake) Pudding
Amasake (Amazake) is a naturally sweet rice beverage sold in many natural
foods stores. Be sure to check the label so that you get the kind with no added sugar.
4 cups amasake
6 tablespoons kuzu
Water for diluting kuzu
A few toasted sesame seeds or roasted chopped almonds for garnish
1. Place amasake in a pot. Stir and slowly bring to a boil.
2. Place the kuzu in a small bowl and cover with water. Stir with your fingers until you can feel the kuzu lumps are dissolved.
3. Pour a trickle of diluted kuzu into hot amasake, online stirring continuously with a whisk to avoid lumps.
4. Continue stirring until the kuzu is cooked. The starch turns from a milky white to a more clear consistency.
5. Spoon into a dessert cup and garnish.